Progress slows down pretty drastically in the last 8 floors or so, the problems are much more complex and as a result so are the solutions. This means that it also takes a lot more work to optimise these, a lot of my evening free time during my Portugal trip was occupied with optimising these later levels and now here are a few tips you can use when optimising for size.
- Iteration is really useful. Start with a working solution, then tweak it.
- Don’t worry too much about edge cases. They take more lines to check for and we don’t care if they are incredibly slow
- Try to ensure that your code is as generic as possible, if you can reuse the same code section you also reduce lines
- Remember to use what you are holding after a check. Jump Zero means you are holding a 0, you can use that to reset counters and pointers. without an extra copyfrom
- Jump statements can take you in the middle of a loop, not just at the start. Consider where you want to enter a section of code the first time around
As always head to Page 2 for the optimised solutions.